Direct Reports: UW & Associate UW
Exemption Status: Exempt
Supervisor’s Title: Earthquake Team Lead
• Within 90 days it is expected that underwriting authority would be issued.
• Underwriting authority will be granted in accordance with experience level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Meet individual and division production goals that are mutually developed.
• Analyze new business opportunities and develop renewal strategies.
• Demonstrate strong understanding of technical underwriting principles and risk underwriting characteristics.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with assigned brokers and search for new relationships. This includes the use of critical thinking and problem solving skills to negotiate with these brokers.
• Travel to meet with assigned brokers at least 4-5 times per year. This includes traveling with other Underwriters or Executive personnel.
• Provide a high level of customer service through multiple methods of communication.
• Fill in for other team members to ensure business continuity during peak periods and/or when team members are unavailable.
• Train and mentor Associate Underwriters and Underwriting Assistants.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Working knowledge of underwriting philosophy, underwriting techniques and insurance terminology.
• Typing proficiency (35 wpm minimum).
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite & proficiency in Agency Management System(s), IMS preferable, but not essential.
• Experience working in a “paperless” environment preferred.
• Self-motivated and demonstrate an attention to detail.
• Be able to work independently for extended periods.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as a general understanding of business writing.
• Proven customer service and relationship building skills.
• Proven problem solving and decision making skills.
• Proven negotiation skills.
• Ability to multi – task.
• Must be able to work well independently or in a small office environment and show a willingness to support the team.
• Los Angeles, Boulder/Denver, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago preferable
Experience and Education:
• Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum 5 years of underwriting experience; preferably in E&S CAT industry.